The new version of the shareware program WinRAR comes with many new features, enhancements and fixes. Its previous version was the 5.80 that was released in December 2019.
The WinRAR 5.90 is already available for Windows, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Linux and Android operating systems. Existing users can download the latest version from the RARLAB website and install it on an existing pre-installed version. The WinRAR does not support automatic updates.
Those who want to see in detail what the new version provides can go to release notes from here. In general, however, the new version brings the following:
- The compression speed RAR improved on systems with processors with 16 or more cores.
- The maximum number of threads used by WinRAR has been increased from 32 to 64. The -mt command line switch accepts values between 1 and 64 to reflect the change.
- The new threads field in the settings replaces the multi-reference parameter. Accepts values between 1 and the number of CPU cores.
- When browsing compressed files, the sizes of the compressed and uncompressed packages are now displayed.
- RAR5 file repair performance improved.
- The progress bar and cancel button appear if reading the files takes a long time.
- Compression and decompression progress windows can now be resized.
Several bugs have been fixed in the new version, including an incorrect repair notification that displays "Recovery record is corrupt" when it is not. While the message did not affect a successful repair, it was annoying to users.
The WinRAR is still a very popular file compression application, although there are now many free alternatives such as PeaZip or Bandizip or 7-zip and others. This program paved the way for compression, established the ending.rare and that's why it stays on top.