GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a raster graphics editor. The new GIMP 2.10.20 has just been released, it is available for all known platforms (download links at the end of the post) and you can download it for free.
The GIMP is a multi-functional photo editing tool. The GIMP is an acronym for GNU image editor. The GIMP is suitable for a variety of image handling tasks, including photo editing, image composition and construction.
The GIMP has many possibilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, a high quality photo editing program, a direct batch processing system, a mass-produced image output, an image type converter, etc.
The GIMP is scalable and scalable. It is designed to be augmented with add-ons and extensions to do almost anything. The advanced script interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image editing processes to be easily scripted.
One of his strengths GIMΡ is its free availability from many sources for many operating systems. Most distributions GNULinux include the GIMP as a standard application. The GIMΡ is also available for other operating systems such as Microsoft Windows the Mac OS X Apple (Darwin).
The GIMΡ is a free software application covered by the general public license [LPG]. The LPG provides users with the freedom to access and modify the source code of computer programs.
Its first edition GIMΡ written by Peter Mattis and Spencer Kimball. Many other developers have contributed recently and thousands more have provided support and control. His publications GIMΡ recently orchestrated by Sven Neumann and Mitch Natterer and the other members of the group GIMΡ.
The following is a brief overview of some of the features and capabilities that it offers GIMP:
- A complete set of painting tools including brushes, pencil, airbrush, cloning etc
- Tile-based memory management, so the image size is limited only by the available disk space
- Sub-pixel sampling for all painting tools for high quality smoothing
- Full alpha channel support for transparent operation
- Layers and channels
- A process database for calling internal functions GIMP from external programs such as Script-Fu
- Advanced scripting capabilities
- Multiple appeals / cancellations (limited to disk space only)
- Transformation tools that include rotation, resizing, warping, and reversing
- Support for a wide range of file formats, including GIF, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP and many more
- Selection tools including rectangle, ellipse, free choice fuzzy bezier choice and smart scissors
- Add-ons that allow you to easily add new file types and new effects filters.