GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a raster graphics editor. The new GIMP 2.10.8 has just been released, it is available for all known platforms (download links at the end of the post) and you can download it for free.
The GIMP is a multifunctional photo editing tool. The GIMP is an acronym for GNU program processing image. It GIMP is suitable for a variety of image manipulation tasks, including image processing, composition and image construction.
The GIMP has many possibilities. It can be used as a simple dye program, a high quality photo editing program, a direct batch processing system, a mass-produced image output, an image type converter, etc.
The GIMP is expandable and scalable. It is designed to be augmented with additives and extensions to do almost anything. The advanced interface scripts allow anything from the simplest task to the most complex image editing processes to become easy scripts.
One of his forces GIMP is its free availability from many sources for many operating systems. Most distributions GNULinux include the GIMP as a typical application. The GIMP it is also available for other operating systems like Microsoft Windows ή Mac OS X Apple (Darwin).
The first version of GIMP was written by Peter Mattis and Spencer Kimball. Many other developers have recently contributed, and thousands of others have provided support and control. Its versions GIMP orchestrated recently by Sven Neumann and Mitch Natterer and the other members of the group GIMP.
The following list is a brief overview of some of the features and capabilities that it offers you GIMP:
- A complete set of painting tools including brushes, pencil, airbrush, cloning etc
- Tile-based memory management, so the image size is limited only by the space available disk
- Subpixel sampling for all tools paint for high-quality smoothing
- Full alpha channel support for transparent work
- Layers and canals
- A procedural database for calling internal functions GIMP from external programs such as Script-Fu
- Advanced scenario capabilities
- Multiple cancellations / cancellations (limited only by disk space)
- Transforming tools that include rotation, scaling, warping and inversion
- Support for a wide range of file formats, including gif, JPEG, PNG, XPM, TIFF, TGA, MPEG, PS, PDF, PCX, BMP and many more
- Selection tools that include a rectangle, lack, free choice fuzzy bezier option and smart scissors
- Add-ons that allow easy addition of new file types and new effects filters.