Learn Vim for beginners and more
Vim, or Vi Improved, is a powerful word processor that lets you do almost anything using keyboard shortcuts.
You can replace text in a document, move it or delete lines, automate editing, and more without ever using the mouse.
Vim is the developer's favorite source code editor, but you can try it yourself.
Vim can confuse people who are used to working with optical editors such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs. But if you spend some time with Vim it will be difficult for you to return.
Whole books have been written about teaching Vim, but if you learn a few basic commands, you will find the application very effective and productive.
Here is a list of online tutorials and other useful resources to help you learn Vim.
1. OpenVim - An interactive tutorial for learning the basics of Vim. At the Practice page you can test your Vim skills.
2. Vim Adventures - An online puzzle game for learning and memorizing Vim commands. You play the character of a blinking cursor who must navigate the maze with letter keys. If you get stuck, you can always type: help for a hint.
3. Vim Genius - It is a flash card style game that will help you learn the basics of Vim. There are special courses for learning the movement keys (h, j, k, l) and for the specialization of copy-paste in vim.
4. Learn to Love Vim - Linux Voice Magazine has created a quick tutorial video to get you started with Vim.
5. Vim Basics - Derek Wyatt created many video lessons (screencasts) for teaching Vim. For beginners who prefer learning Vim by watching videos rather than reading.
6. Learning Vim - Mike Coutermarsh teaches you Vim.
7. Vim - Precision Editing - Drew Neil, author of the popular Practical Vim, guides you on Vim and how to use the word processor without problems.
8. Vim Tutorial - The official documentation of Vim is excellent. You can also access this tutorial via Vim and the command: vimtutor.
9. Vim Cheat Sheet - Print it because you will need it later.
If you spend a lot of time typing text, learning Vim will be worth it.