The Wiki Loves Earth is a photo and content contest that is aimed at photographers (amateurs and non-photographers) who will photograph nature monuments and protected sites in Greece and upload the free licensed photos to Wikipedia Particularly in the repository of images Wikimedia Commons.
The contest aims:
- to update and enrich web-based projects supported by the Wikimedia Foundation, such as Wikipedia, with photos of natural monuments and protected areas on the territory of Greece
- in the creation of images for a large number of natural monuments and protected areas in Greece, which can be freely used by all interested natural and legal persons.
With free license, photos become the property of humanity - they can be used by anyone for any purpose, as long as the photographer and the source from which the photo was acquired are mentioned.
Anyone can participate in the "Wiki Loves Earth" contest. To participate, you must sign up for Wikimedia Commons - a sister project of Wikipedia - find a place near you or interested in the list of sites, take a photo and upload the photos to Wikimedia Commons . The photos you upload should definitely be your own creations and not those of others.
Terms of participation
- You can upload recently captured or drawn pictures in the past. What matters is that the photos must go up during the competition period. The contest starts at 1 in May 2017 (00: 01 time in Greece) and ends on 31 May 2017 (23: 59 time in Greece).
- All entries must be original photos submitted by their own creator. Photographs submitted by anyone other than the photographer (even with his / her permission) are not accepted.
- Everyone and everyone except the members of WMUG Greece and members of the jury can participate in the competition.
- Photos must be published with Free license, preferably under the terms of the CC BY-SA license.
- Each contestant can submit as many photos as he likes.
- Each photo must depict a particular natural protected area from the relative List of regions. Photographs of remarkable representative species (animals, plants, etc.) taken in an eligible area are allowed, provided the species and area have been correctly identified.
- Each photo should have a resolution of at least 2 megapixels. Photographs taken with black and white film or scanned photos are allowed (for older photos taken with film and if they have been scanned with the corresponding resolution).
- Each contestant must state an active email address and enable email retrieval in their Wikimedia Commons account preferences so that they can be contacted if they win a prize.
- Cash and / or other prizes may be received by the end of October 2017.
The best photos will be selected by jury until the end of July 2017. Each photo will be judged on the basis of its technical excellence, its value in terms of the place or object of the environment it impresses / highlights, and its value for the Illustrator Illustration in Wikipedia. The award ceremony will take place in the autumn of 2017.
After the first places in the Greek competition, the winning photos will be promoted to the international competition part of the competition Wiki Loves Earth.
Areas included in the competition
The list of regions included in the competition is located on this page.
It is necessary with each photo you upload to fill in the area code of the area where the photo was taken. When you upload photos by following the link from the region list, the code is automatically filled in.
Here are some examples of photos that have taken part in previous events in other countries already in the repository http://commons.wikimedia.org. The contest requires interested parties to participate in the competition with such images.