The Altap Salamander application is a file manager and is now available for free for both commercial and non-commercial use.
If you are looking for a replacement for File Explorer, Altap Salamander is a fast duplicate file manager for Windows. It has an intuitive interface, reminiscent of the old Norton Commander (fifty will remember it), supports all popular file formats, and has built-in FTP and SFTP client.
Altap Salamander has long been a paid software. It was purchased by Fine Software, a civil engineering company, which then released it as free software.
Altap Salamander does not have the full range of features it has Directory Opus (paid program), or Total Commander (also paid though it can work as freeware) but they are generally very close to them. It has features that you won't find in many file managers.
In addition to performing standard file management tasks such as viewing, copying, editing, deleting, renaming, it has an extensive set of features. Below is a short list, and you can find it the whole list here.
- Built-in support for most network protocols such as FTP, FTPS (also known as FTP Secure and FTP-SSL), SCP, SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol). Windows Shares (protocol SMB) can be mapped to local drives or use UNC (\\ server \ share) paths.
- It supports most types of files, including ZIP, RAR, 7-Zip, images ISO and UDF.
- Supports over 40 image types
- Built-in password manager
- Built-in registry editor
- Select which viewers, editors and archivers you want to use
- Work with compressed files, such as 7-Zip, without exporting them
- Change file attributes, convert them, compare files and directories, and view the registry.
- Change the look using the provided themes. Choose the default theme of Salamander or Windows Explorer, or Norton Commander, or DOS Navigator or create your own color scheme.
- Choose a skill level for using the program from beginning, intermediate, or advanced. The menu options are adjusted according to the skill level you select.
The menu is clean and easy to navigate. The toolbar can be adjusted and has a right and left entry to make the window easy to configure. There are many configuration options for most program areas. The Help section is well developed and can be used offline.
You can do almost anything in the Altap Salamander with the keyboard shortcuts. OR list is here and it is quite impressive. Salamander also supports Wild Cards. If you find that you cannot access certain features, run the program as an administrator.
Today it is in the 4.0 version and comes out for x86 and x64 architectures.
We found it Altap Salamander to be a lightweight, versatile advanced dual file manager, a good replacement for Windows File Explorer for most tasks. Alternatively you can also see the free one FreeCommander XE.