Siduction linux 2018.1.0: In the last days and after the release of Linux Kernel 4.15, which fixes vulnerabilities Meltdown and Specter without burdening system performance, I was thinking of trying a Debian-based distribution that supports the new kernel.
Arch-based distributions (Manjaro, Antergos etc.) directly support every new Kernel, but I was looking for something in Debian. Because, then, I've already tried it SparkyLinux, I decided to see the Siduction.
The Siduction distribution is a desktop-oriented operating system, and is based on the "unstable" or "unstable" version of Debian GNU / Linux. The siduction has a Live DVD, but also a very fast Calamares installer unlike the traditional Debian Installer which is very slow.
I installed the latest Siduction 2018.1.0 version which comes in KDE, LXQt, GNOME, Cinnamon, MATE, XFCE, LXDE, Xorg and noX flavors. All ISOs are enhanced with some very useful packages and various scripts, along with a custom patched version of the linux-kernel 4.14.10, accompanied by X-Server 1.19.5 and systemd 236.due to the settings that allow scaling.
This specific version of "patience 2018.1.0" and although based on the unstable Debian sid, I have not experienced any problems to date.
The distribution comes with LibreOffice 6.0 and the latest firefox (58.0.1) installed without the rest. .
The distribution offers out of the box, non-free softwares, without having to hack the sources.list.
Of course for those who only choose free software, right after installation, you can remove all Non-free with one click with the help of an embedded script.
Below is the list of non-free and contrib packages that will be installed by default:
Siduction linux 2018.1.0: non-free
* amd64-microcode - Processor microcode firmware for AMD CPUs
* firmware-amd-graphics - Binary firmware for AMD / ATI graphics chips
* firmware-atheros - Binary firmware for Atheros wireless cards
* firmware-bnx2 - Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtremeII
* firmware-bnx2x - Binary firmware for Broadcom NetXtreme II 10Gb
* firmware-brcm80211 - Binary firmware for Broadcom 802.11 wireless card
* firmware-crystalhd - Crystal HD Video Decoder (firmware)
* firmware-intelwimax - Binary firmware for Intel WiMAX Connection
* firmware-iwlwifi - Binary firmware for Intel Wireless cards
* firmware-libertas - Binary firmware for Marvell Libertas 8xxx wireless car
* firmware-linux-nonfree - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
* firmware-misc-nonfree - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel
* firmware-myricom - Binary Firmware for Myri-10G Ethernet Adapters
* firmware-netxen - Binary firmware for QLogic Intelligent Ethernet (3000)
* firmware-qlogic - Binary firmware for QLogic HBAs
* firmware-realtek - Binary firmware for Realtek wired / wifi / BT adapters
* firmware-ti-connectivity - Binary firmware for TI Connectivity wireless network
* firmware-zd1211 - binary firmware for the zd1211rw wireless driver
* intel-microcode - Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs
Siduction linux 2018.1.0: Contrib packages
* b43-fwcutter - utility for extracting Broadcom 43xx firmware
* firmware-b43-installer - firmware installer for the b43 driver
* firmware-b43legacy-installer - firmware installer for the b43legacy driver
* iucode-tool - Intel processor microcode
Those of you who are interested in more information, or even the Live ISO delivery offered, can visit the official website.