PPC case against 3 people for fraud
The Cybercrime Prosecution Directorate filed a criminal case - regular procedure against (3) people for fraud under the pretext of providing investment services.
The victims were approached using deceptive methods of aggressive marketing, both by telephone and via the internet.
(11) cases were investigated with the illegal property benefit, from the investigation to date, amounting to (460.000) euros.
The investigation of the case started after complaints, which came to the Directorate of Cybercrime Prosecution and other police services.
This was followed by a specialized and thorough police and digital investigation and analysis of the data and facts of the case, which resulted in the verification of the involvement of the accused in the criminal activity and the location of the premises - offices that they used for their action.
Regarding the mode of action (modus operandi):
- had set up a company with the subject of "marketing consulting services" since 2019, but had never received permission from the Hellenic Capital Market Commission to provide investment activities,
- specialized financial and investment advisers were employed on behalf of a foreign-based brokerage firm,
- approached unsuspecting victims first by telephone and then by e-mail,
- after gaining their trust, they withdrew money as investments in portfolios that would bring them high rates of return, which, however, had no real reward,
- declared false - non-existent headquarters of the company in an area of Athens to give legitimacy to their action,
- They operated a call center, which they regularly transferred to different addresses within Attica, in order to make it difficult for the authorities to locate them.
A search of the company turned up and confiscated a total of 7 mobile phones, 2 hard drives, a portable storage unit, as well as a number of documents and documents related to the case.
In addition, a staff of the Labor Inspection Body (SEPE), which assisted in the investigation, found violations of labor law and imposed administrative fines (52.500) euros.
The Cybercrime Prosecution Directorate, on the occasion of this case, informs the citizens - interested investors and proposes the following:
- Be especially cautious when you see ads for investment products on the internet and social media that promise fast and high returns.
- Be wary when approached by phone or email from investment companies.
- Be wary when you are promised safe investments, guaranteed returns and big profits.
- Find information about the reliability of the investment companies that approach you as well as whether they have a registered office, contact details, etc ..
- Do not invest your money in services without being absolutely sure of their reliability.
- Ask for the terms and conditions before making a transaction.
- If the quote seems too good to be true, keep in mind that it is probably not real.
- If you have been the victim of fraud in the past, be extra careful as perpetrators may approach you again or share your information with other criminals.
- Contact the appropriate police authorities when you become aware that you have been the victim of fraud.
- Find out about the companies you intend to cooperate with / invest in, regarding their existence and licensing status through:
- of the website of the Hellenic Capital Market Commission and especially through the warnings for the Investment Public http://www.hcmc.gr/el_GR/web/portal/warninghcmc ή
- the respective supervisory authorities of other Member States of the European Union.